Thursday, October 25, 2007

Spanish

Learning a new language is never an easy thing. I have my good days and I have my bad days. Overall I feel like I’m improving, but I can’t wait for the morning where I wake up and I’m fluent. Apparently it doesn’t happen that way. My level coming in was “Intermediate-Low”. Basically that meant I can ask and answer simple questions. After 5-weeks we had another evaluation. I’m improved to “Intermediate-Intermediate” which means I can ask and answer slightly more advanced yet still simple questions. It’s good to know I’m getting better, although I was hoping to move up one more level. A saying we hear a lot is “Poco a Poco” which roughly translates to “Little by Little”. It’s a little intimidating to think that in less than four weeks I will not have any more Spanish classes and my lessons will consist of living by myself in a Guatemalan community and trying tto function with government offices, communtiy groups, and NGOs. O’well “el es que el es” (“it is what it is”, at least I think that’s what I said!)

No comments: