Monday, October 15, 2007

Name that fruit or vegetable


I suppose it should come to me as no surprise that there are fruits and vegetables down here that I wouldn’t find back home in the States, but it never ceases to amaze me. From time to time my host family will put a bowl full of a vegetable soup in front of me and I start trying to figure out what exactly I’m eating. One popular vegetable is called Guicoy and it’s a cross between a potatoe and a cucumber. There are tiny little apple like fruits called Guayava and there is a little nectarine like fruit with at large seed in the middle. I feel kind of silly having to ask whether you eat the peel (and seeds), but I guess you just grow up learning that with the fruits you encounter in your youth. Any guesses on the fruit in the photo?

3 comments:

Cleaver said...

Paul,that fruit looks a lot like a Papya without seeds. Is it sweet or bitter? Looks like you are doing ok. Our church, Bonnie and I continue to pray for your journey and well being.Allis good here I have been organizing the youth ministries at our church and find I have very little free time. Bonnie and I will both be serving on the church board this next year so we are excited about that too.
God Bless, Thanks for keeping everyone posted.
Uncle Gene

Ezequiel Arcajo said...

Esta fruta chama se ciriguela ou jacote. Ela é como o cajá-manga amarga ou as vezes doce. É muito gostosa e abundante no Brasil. A árvore é normalmente muito alta e as galhas tende a se curvar em direção ao chão.

Ezequiel Arcajo said...

Apenas para complementar.
Nome cientifico: Spondias purpúrea

(Jacote, numit si Sineguela sau Siwel (in Haiti), este un arbore tropical originar din America Centrala si de Sud, facand parte din familia arborilor acaju. A fost naturalizat si in Filipine sau Nigeria. Frunzele sale cad in scurta perioada de seceta. Fructul este o drupa ovala de 3-5 cm, de culoare rosie si mai rar galbena, la maturitate. Are un singur sambure, mare, necomestibil. Fructele sunt consumate in stare proaspata, cu sau fara coaja. Ocazional fructele necoapte sunt mancate cu sare si otet sau lime juice. - http://klausen1976.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/tropical-dlights-11/