Thursday, October 25, 2007

Noise


Our Volunteer handbook mentioned that one thing that causes most volunteers some irritation is noise. I didn’t believe it when I read it, but now after living in Guatemala for about 6-weeks I know what they were talking about. It’s always noisy. I mean always. Right now in the background there rain on a metal roof and an electric guitar and drums coming form the Evangelical Church next door. By next door I mean I can step out of my room (from the door that leads to nowhere) and onto the roof of the church. In the morning there will be Roosters doing their thing. There is a random loudspeaker about 15ft from my room that makes occasional announcements about whatever needs to be announced. Saturday night there was a rather loud prayer and worship service occurring no more than 20ft from where I was trying to sleep that went until 5am. Like many places in the world, Guatemalans tend to celebrate by blowing things up. In their case they do it the civilized manner of lighting a string or six of firecrackers. At least they aren’t shooting guns in the air like some other countries I’ve been in. I can guarantee you when I get to my permanent site I’ll be paying particular attention the proximity of my house to any Evangelical Church and/or farm animals.

1 comment:

Travis G said...

Sean Paul,
Evangelicals huh?

Sounds like Vegas,,,the city that never sleeps