Saturday, September 22, 2007

Trip into the Big City

This past week we made the trip into Guatemala City with my Spanish teacher. The Peace Corps offices are in the city while the training center is located in a nice little town called Santa Lucia Milpas Altas about an hour from the city. Milpas Altas means tall corn stocks, but you probably already knew that. In January the offices will be co-located in Santa Lucia. After that point the only business we would have in the city would be a medical appointment. I'll tell it you you as it is...the city kind of sucks. Lots of traffic and pollution. For our safety we have to get off the bus on the outskirts and take a cab if we need to travel in the city. The good thing, I suppose, is that you can find anything you might ever conceivably need in the city. I even came across a GAP! It's a world away from where I'm living now and I don't imagine I'll make any more trips in there than I have to unless of course I need a new pair of Khakis.

2 comments:

Terri said...

Hi Paul

I am really enjoying your notes on your experiences. Thank you for taking time to write them. Not much new in Federal Way. Fall has definitely come, very cool mornings amd evenings with warm days and the days are getting shorter.
I look forward to reading more.
Love ya
Terri

MikeMeshak said...

Hi Paul, I just came across your blog and it truly sounds a lot like my time in Guatemala back in '89. Ever go to Antigua? Ever visit with Macademia-Man Larry Gottschamer? To tell you the truth, San Juan Chamelco and my time walking the back trails in Alta Verapaz were the best. I don't know how long you've been there but Guate was both nice and a total hassle. It sounds worse now. Basilio Estrada was the APCD of agro-forestry, and I hope if he is still there you get to meet him. Please write back when you get a chance. Good luck. Mike Meshak, Monticello Iowa.