Saturday, September 29, 2007

Bucket Showers



You kind of get used to certain creature comforts that you may have had for more than 30-years. One of the ones which I was used to was a “normal” shower. As I recall, you turn the water on and adjust it so hot and cold meet in the right proportion and you enjoy and adequate amount of water pressure to thoroughly clean your body. No so much here. At least not at the house where I’m staying. Every morning I boil a decent size pot of water and bring it into the “shower” with me. In the shower there are two or three 5-gallon buckets of cold water. I then proceed to fill a bowl which is about the size of a dog-food bowl with a bit of the hot water and a decent amount of cold water and dump it over my head. Repeat about 25-times with different amounts of lathering and shampoo and I’m pretty clean. This morning I accidentally dropped my soap in the hot water. Not thinking, I reached in there to grab it. Not a good idea. I think the technical term is “scald”, but whatever it was it wasn’t pleasant, but I know it could have been worse.

No comments: