Friday, September 14, 2007

Corn is King


In the two weeks that I’ve been here I can think of less than a handful of meals which didn’t include a healty serving of Corn Tortillas. They are always corn, never flower. There is a lot of history with corn and the land here. According to Mayan legnend man is made of corn and when we consume corn we are in a way consuming the soul of a diety. It strikes me as similar to the Catholic teachings on eurcharist. We get the corn tortiallas from and Aunt of Sister of Jose Lois. Usually one of the kids runs out and grabs them. They are fresh made. You get 4 or 5 for a Quetzal (about 12 cents). I really should keep track of how many I eat over the course of a weeks, but I bet it’s well over 40.

2 comments:

Jan Kline said...

hey Paul, this is all great! i cannot wait to come...sending this bogsite to Nat, Kate, Mike & Julie too!!!

love you..

ps amazing Africa Sat night gig and LOTS of folks showed up Sunday at Mary Queen of Peace.. Hope your daddy comes in 08.. think it would be awesome!

Fr Matthew being kept VERY busy.. tomorrow to Portland with 2 ladies from chruch to a shrine of some kind.. cool.
Jan

Cleaver said...

Nephew Paul, it is great to hear obout you adventure. i will look forward to commenting with you. our pastor has a blog I will try and send it to you he is a very wise individual and a true Christian.
Uncle Gene
PS the Cleaver name is from (meat cutting) I first posted it as anonymous.