Saturday, August 11, 2007

Where am I and how did I end up here?

Most of you know that I’m between things. Really I’ve been between things for some time now. In many ways it has been wonderful and in some ways it has been taxing. A lifetime ago, as I sat in an office and worked long hours I dreamed about having and abundance of time off, being able to travel, visit and make friends, and just sort of hang out. The reverse wasn’t true when I had time off, although I did sometimes miss the sense of purpose in my everyday life. My overall assessment is that I wouldn’t have traded my 8-month “sabbatical” for anything.

It’s sometimes hard to figure out where you are in life until after you’ve been there. Right now I have one thought on my mind…I’m leaving for Guatemala with the Peace Corps in 18 days. There are many tributaries to that thought. What to pack. How to maximize my time left (whatever that means). How did I end up here? I’m probably more surprised than some of my close friends that I ended up here.

No comments: